So I regularly get sessions when my working set is casually a new 5 rep max or 5 sets of a complex at 90%. I’m sure I’m not alone in sometimes having a little cry whilst slowly pouring the third scoop of pre-workout into my pre-training Americano.
What can you do when facing such sessions?
- Eat well – Plan the day around the session and therefore the food you are going to eat to make it happen. A huge bowl of oats, your favourite shake, a good drink and a banana– know what you need to fuel yourself and do it.
- Sleep well the night before – SLEEP! The most underrated form of recovery ever! If you are getting fewer than 8 hours before a big session, then you aren’t maximising one of the easiest ways to recover. You literally have to just lie there.
- Don’t do it alone – Go to the gym you need to, grab the training partners you need to. Train one – to – one with your coach if you need to. Have a support system and use it.
- Trust your coach – If you have a good coach, it means the workout is one you are capable of doing.
- Don’t overthink it – Lifting is somewhat simple; you lift things up and down in the most efficient way possible. So go and do just that. Up and down. Or down up down.
- Be positive: You got this; go forth and DOMINATE.